Thursday, May 15, 2014

Margaret Berger - Norwegian Synthpop - Norway Eurovision Finale




Margaret Berger is a singer / songwriter from Norway.  She's a former contestant in the second season of Norwegian Idol, which is Norway's version of American Idol.  After the contest ended she released two CDs:  "Chameleon" in 2004 and "Pretty Scary Silver Fairy" in 2006.

I had never even heard of her until I was bored one day and started watching YouTube clips from Eurovision (2013).  Eurovision is a music competition that's held annually in Europe in which countries send a representative to compete against the rest of Europe.  You never know what you'll hear (or see) at Eurovision. The quality can be all over the place.

So I was pleasantly shocked when Margaret Berger's "I Feed You My Love" started playing and sounded great!  (You can watch it above.)  I ended up paying a fortune to get her two CDs imported from Norway, because I like her Eurovision song so much.  I'll let you know what I think of her two, older releases after I've had a chance to really listen to them.  Meanwhile, below is a song from her second CD.


2 comments:

Amy said...

I was stunned when I heard "I Feed You My Love" at ESC. Nothing has knocked me speechless (in a "where have you been?" way) like that in quite some time. My only regret is it took me until six months after the 2013 contest to watch it. In ten years of viewing ESC I never felt compelled to follow up on an artist until Margaret Berger. It has been an astonishing, pleasant surprise.

I've listened to many tracks online and, fortunately, have a friend traveling across Europe that will send along whatever albums he can find. The exorbitant price to import was alarming, but growing increasingly worth it with each listen. Pretty Scary Silver Fairy is an exquisite gem. Not a note or sound out of place. Yet to hear all of Chameleon, but you glimpse the transition towards strictly electro-pop with "Lifetime Guarantee".
Her latest single, "Scream", was released last month, fyi.

Judah Dylan said...

Really enjoying your reviews. I don't see any contact information on your page, if you're still doing reviews then I'd like to get in contact with you. My email is worldnolonger@gmail.com