Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Foxglove Hunt-- "Stop Heartbeat"

If you like New Order you'll probably also like The Foxglove Hunt. They are definitely channeling Bernard Sumner and Co.; a couple of songs on this album sound like they were just lifted right off of Substance. As a big New Order fan, I'm fine with the imitation aspect of this CD.

I found out about The Foxglove Hunt through A Different Drum's weekly synthpop update. If you haven't signed up for it yet, you probably should. You'll get weekly emails with information about new synthpop releases, discounts, etc.

Anyway, this is fun, feel-good music that will remind you of the mid 80s. The vocalist sounds a little like Joy Electric's vocalist, only not whiney. I found that interesting, because Ronnie Martin of Joy Electric is part of The Foxglove Hunt, but he isn't the vocalist.

I really like this CD. It's one of the most consistently solid releases this year (along with Midnight Resistance and Universal Poplab).

Here's how I rate the songs:

5/5 stars: The Life Highrise (reminds me a little of New Order's "Blue Monday")
4/5 stars: A Concealed Weapon (sounds just like New Order), Business Casual, It's Not Effective, Love My Way (yes, it's a Psychedelic Furs cover), The Mayflower Compact, That's Getting Personal
3/4 stars: Don't I Know the Way, The Pure in Heart, Strength Early
2/5 stars: NONE
1/5 stars: NONE

No comments: